(while Ken was in Indianapolis at a conference – notes prepared by SJ)
A good vision for FGCC, that we have had around us, but didn’t name and recognize until now, goes something like this :
“FGCC is a part of the body of Christ,
gathered together, growing disciples
from curious onlookers towards spiritually mature ministers.”
As a foundational part of this vision, we see creating a scope and sequence of growing disciples at FGCC through teaching, preaching, and open discussion inclusive of diverse opinions. Where scripture speaks we speak, and where scripture is silent we will prayerfully with love and conversation embrace our diversity together.
This means we support inclusive coverage of scripture (entire OT and entire NT) in sermons in tandem with guided group studies.
Suggested topics for the “back to basics” which is envisioned as the first part of the scope/sequence – basic faith foundation kinds of topics: for example, if Ken could take some of the creeds and preach a series on each thing mentioned there – not as a statement of faith for us, but as a guide for a topic list, and we could also in tandem study them in SS. Also, interpretation of scripture, and an overview of the Bible were mentioned.
After we cover the basic faith foundation topics, moving on to difficult topics is desired as an additional part of scope/sequence. We feel guided, small group discussions/studies done in tandem with the sermons are a necessity (or highly recommended) – We do not want to tiptoe around difficult topics (based in 2 Tim 4:1-5), and we seek a deeper prayer life together. An authentic, shared prayer life that is spiritually stirring is desired.
- Let’s let the topic of spiritual gifts rest for awhile. The group feels that topic has been covered more fully than other topics in recent memory.
- For summer, and perhaps longer, maybe a year? – basic belief sermon series and guided study series
- After that – move to advanced topics built on the basic beliefs, inclusive of difficult topics that are pervasive in our culture.
- Additional suggestions for next week’s agenda:
- Revival in the fall?
- Curtis and Cindy to continue to work out details of their ideas for hospitality, etc. so we can implement those soon.
I think this captures most of the discussion from Tuesday night (5/22).