Ministry Intern staff position @ St. Paul’s UCC Church, Dallas
Contact: Pastor @ stpaulsucc (at)sbcglobal.net or 214-368-7788
Focus: Children, Youth and Families –
Internal to the congregation and out in the community
Starting Date: As Soon As Available after July 31st
Hours: 15-20 / week, 48 weeks / year
Pay: Commensurate with experience,
plus mileage and expense reimbursements
The final job description will be negotiated with the successful applicant. Below is a brief overview of the shape of the position, accountabilities, responsibilities and flexibility.
Primary Vision for the position: To provide an opportunity for someone to grow and develop in their call to ministry, focused on building community and relationships among children, youth and families in congregation and surrounding neighborhoods. Our desire is that the Ministry Intern imagine, explore and discover existing and new ways to call, lead and disciple young people for the church of today and the work of the kingdom in the future. Success in this position will be measured by a) prayerful participation and effort, b) a willingness to take risks in consultation with church leaders, and c) the ability to learn from mistakes, rather than predetermined independent metrics like attendance. The successful candidate will be able to articulate their current personal understanding of and commitment to the Christian Faith in ways consistent with the mission and witness of St. Paul’s Church and the UCC.
On a weekly basis:
- Provide leadership to the congregation’s ministry to children, youth and families, including teaching a class each week on Sunday mornings @ 10 am, in cooperation with parents and other adult leaders.
- Meet with the supervising pastor for planning and formation. Dream and explore new expressions of ministry in our context and how they might apply in other settings.
- Participate in the planning and leadership of worship on Sunday morning @ 11am, including preaching on occasion, at least quarterly.
On a monthly basis:
- Plan and lead activities for children and youth in partnership with parents and other adult leaders.
- Actively participate in Consistory (church governing body) meetings on Sunday afternoon.
- Actively participate in monthly fellowship dinner, typically on the 4th Sunday, following worship.
On a regular basis:
- Identify and engage at select community sites, including schools, businesses, retail settings, coffee shops and restaurants, for the purpose of listening deeply to people’s life stories and discovering together how God is at work and how the kingdom of God is emerging in our midst.
- Participate occasionally in hospital and homebound visitation, primarily as a learning opportunity, not with ongoing responsibility in this area.
- Learning, Networking and Collaboration: Meet with other ministry leaders and pioneers locally and beyond to share ideas and build a network of ministry colleagues and resources.
- Participate in UCC and Ecumenical events, particularly related to children, youth and families.
Download the pdf :
Ministry Intern Position Announcement – St Pauls Church UCC Dallas