Lessons from the Valley
The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures
He leads me beside still waters
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
I will fear no evil.
Your rod and your staff they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil – My cup overflows.
Surely Goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Big challenge is choosing the scripture texts around the theme. A partial list of possible topics follows.
- The First Lesson – Learning to trust
- “If you don’t have your health…”
- Big failures – my inability to walk through the valley
- Base Jumping – when we seek to come face to face with death
- Facing death with the mind – thinking our way through
- Facing death with the heart – feeling our way through
- Facing death with the soul – faithing our way through
- From the mountain to the valley
- Loosing life – finding life
- Selling today for tomorrow
- Miracles of Generosity
- Job loss – salvation through failure
- Lost & Found – are you making a good trade?
- The Valley of Discipleship Suffering
- Matthew 16:24-28; Matthew 10:16-42
If you have suggestions for scriptures to go with these topics, or other scriptures/topics that fit the overall theme, please let me know. This will very much need to be a community conversation, just as it was when Scott and I began the discussion.